There’s a saying in Irish “Ní neart go cur le chéile” which loosely translates in English to ‘there’s no strength without unity’. In Mexico, they would say “Juntos jalamos parejo” (‘we all pull together’).
These sayings neatly capture what life at Blanco Niño has been like in the last year or so. We’re a small but ambitious team, scattered across several countries, all aligned with the same vision of bringing the most authentic corn tortillas and tortilla chips to customers.
We know first-hand how challenging these times are. We just wanted to express our thanks to everyone who has bought a bag of chips or eaten a tortilla and of course share a sincere thank you to all our retail customers, wholesale partners and friends in the restaurant industry for their amazing support.
2021 – the best bits
• We expanded into new territories with our chips; the UK and Sweden.
• On last count, our tortilla chips are stocked by over 600 retailers across these territories and our beloved home country, Ireland.
• As part of our commitment to being a sustainable food producer, we are members of Origin Green. We passed our audit and have new targets to work towards in 2022, minimising our environmental impact.
• We welcomed 12 people to strengthen our awesome team.
• Carlos, our talented culinary manager, created seven new recipes for you to try at home.
• We partnered with wholesalers and distributors who are driving our reach among specialist independents.
• Blanco Niño Chilli & Lime tortilla chips won a Bronze award from Blas na hEireann
• We joined an impressive group as finalists for the Emerging Producer Award at Food &Wine Magazine’s Restaurant of the Year Awards.
• Blanco Niño won the Green Food and Beverage Producers COVID-19 Response Award.
We chatted with our founder Phil to get the scoop on what 2022 has in store.
“Looking back over the last few months and years, it’s hard to believe what we’ve achieved to date in a relatively short space of time, often in challenging circumstances. We’re truly humbled that customers enjoy Blanco Niño products and believe in what we’re doing. It doesn’t happen overnight of course and we’re fiercely dedicated to making the best possible products.”
“Of course it’s easier to take shortcuts but we’ve a hunger for understanding how things work and always want to optimise our offer. The team is working hard to build our presence even further afield… we have a number of new products in development and we’re always challenging ourselves to think of new ways to innovate across the board. We’re super optimistic about 2022.”
Thanks, Phil. So there you have it – what a crazy year it’s been. The whole team wishes you all a safe and enjoyable Christmas and happy new year.